Here is another list of free fonts.
Note that these are "free beer" fonts. These are not open source fonts.
Here are some websites for some bona fide open source fonts:
- Bitstream Vera. Note that, if you have Linux and X on your system, you also have two other fonts from Bitstream that were made free in the early 1990s (and are, to the extent of my knowledge, the first ever open source Type1/TTF fonts): Bitstream Charter and Bitstream Courier.
- DejaVu This is Bitstream Vera with more glyphs and more subfonts.
- SIL has some true open source fonts These fonts were originally meant to allow linguists to have IPA in their documents (something that, in fact, my English lessons use), but these fonts are very useful for writing things in a variety of languages.
- Computer Modern Unicode fonts
- Junicode (GPL font)
- Free UCS outline fonts
- Free UCS outline fonts (again)
- George Williams' fonts
- The MgOpen fonts for English and Greek (and, in the case of Canonica, other European languages)
- The Damase TTF font, a public domain TTF unicode font (Main page no longer on internet, but Debian got the font)
And, finally, some more lists of truly free fonts: an index of open-source fonts; SIL's index of OFL fonts; yet another open source font list