Well, I've implemented a secure random number generator for the new Deadwood code. Last time, with MaraDNS, I used AES, which became an AES variant in late 2001. The problem with AES is that it may have cache timing issues with some CPUs, since it uses table lookups to get indexes based on key information. I revised the code to work around this, at the expense of making the code about three times slower. Also, the code is fairly large and block ciphers are not the best building block for making random streams.
This time, I am using a new stream cipher/cryptographic hash algorithm called "Radio Gatun". Radio Gatun is a new and novel cryptographic primitive: It's a cryptographic hash that can take an input of any length, and generates, from that input, a hash of any desired length. It's also (if not officially) a stream cipher that can take a key of any desired length.
Radio Gatun is a derivative of a late 1990s stream cipher/hash construction called PANAMA. PANAMA's cryptographic hash creation was broken, but it's (as far as we know) still as secure stream cipher. Radio Gatun is not as fast as PANAMA, but appears (so far) to be both a secure cryptographic hash and a secure stream cipher primitive.
Radio Gatun, in theory, can use words of any length from one bit to 64 bits. In practice, test vectors only exist for the 32-bit and the 64-bit versions of Radio Gatun. The Deadwood code is using the 32-bit version of Radio Gatun, but this can be fairly easily changed to use the 64-bit (or, if one wants, the 16-bit or even 8-bit) version by changing two defines in DwRadioGatun.h, and rewriting the dwr_rng() function.
Radio Gatun is a good deal more compact than AES; the entire library fits in under 2k (2048 bytes) when compiled with -Os; compare this with the 12k or so the AES-derived library uses.
I have also created a basic SQA test, and fixed some bugs. There was a minor bug in the FSM definition that made it so dwood1rc parameters could not have numbers in them, making ipv4_bind_addresses not work; this has been fixed. Another bug is that I did not use the socket bound on port 53 to forward the remote reply back to the local user; this made Dig unhappy, since Dig checks the port number of the reply.
In addition, I have added "DwMain -f dwood1rc" style argument parsing.
Oh, oh, there's some under the hood changes. DwMain.c is now a very small file; DwSocket.c has all of the functions that use socket-specific code (and no functions that don't use socket code) and DwSys.c has the rest of the functions. This way, adding DNS-over-TCP, ipv6, and WinSock support only requires changing the DwSocket.c file.
The DwMain binary, when compiled in DeLi Linux 0.7.2 with the -Os flag and stripped, is currently 14,092 bytes in size.