Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Note: MaraDNS 1.3.07 will not include RPMs

I'm letting MaraDNS users know that future releases of MaraDNS 1.3.07 will not include RPM files. The reason is because my current computer does not have a system for building RPM files; I am using my older computer to build the .rpm files, which runs CentOS 3.

Instead, I will have a script update the .spec file with every release of MaraDNS, and rpm users can build their own .rpm files thusly:
  • Copy the file build/maradns-version.spec to the directory /usr/src/redhat/SPECS.
  • Copy the maradns-version.tar.bz2 file to /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES
  • Become root and enter the /usr/src/redhat/SPECS
  • As root, do this command: rpmbuild -ba maradns-version.spec.
  • You should now have .rpm files in /usr/src/redhat/SRPMS/ and /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/i386 (or whatever)
I will leave the building of .rpm files to people who are experts at making rpm packages, and concentrate my efforts on making the best possible recursive DNS server; my current project is a complete rewrite of the recursive code.