Thursday, January 15, 2009

MaraDNS snapshot update

I have done a number of updates this last day in preparing my snapshot update. One issue is that I have fixed the timestamps the VMware server creates; I will discuss the timestamp issue and possible workarounds in a future blog. The timestamp for the last snapshot was off by a day or so; the current snapshot has correct timestamps.

In addition, I took the rg32hash program (which recursively calculates Radio Gatun 32-bit sums, given a list of files and folders), removed all compile-time warnings, and am adding it to the next MaraDNS release. It's in tools/misc.

I have also added a "borked zone" test; this is a test that reproduces the bug mentioned in yesterday's blog entry. The results I get from this testcase is that MaraDNS initially reports a "server fail", but will correctly resolve a hostname when a second query is sent. This "server fail" message, if it causes problems, can be resolved by setting the mararc variable handle_noreply to have a value of 0.

This test is in the directory sqa/regressions/borked_zone.

OK, some MaraDNS todos:
  • Update the list of other DNS servers to mention unbound and dnsmasq
  • Update the FAQ to add a workaround for the borked zone issue
  • Add a man page for rg32hash
  • Add Radio Gatun support to mqhash
Since there is a reasonable workaround (set handle_noreply to 0), I see no reason to try and fix the borked zone issue; I don't like making changes to the recursive resolver.

The snapshot can be downloaded at http://www.maradns.org/download/1.3/snap/2009