Thursday, July 22, 2010

Deadwood 2.9.01 released: Full recursion

I have just released Deadwood 2.9.01. This is the first release of the fully recursive Deadwood; Deadwood no longer needs an upstream server performing the “heavy lifting” of recursive DNS.

I have done a lot of “web surfing” testing with Deadwood; I have fixed enough bugs that Deadwood can be used for casual web surfing. Indeed, I am using Deadwood to post this blog right now and the issues I saw before (tagged.com, etc.) are no longer a problem.

This is a testing release. That now has a different meaning than my previous definition of a testing release. All of the features Deadwood 3.0 (MaraDNS 2.0) will have are already implemented. At this point, the program needs testing (expansion of the SQA regressions to handle recursion, etc.) and documentation (root_servers hasn’t been documented yet) updates.

It has been a long road to get here. I have wanted to rewrite MaraDNS’ recursive resolver since 2002; I started writing Deadwood in 2007 and it’s finally feature-complete here in 2010.

Deadwood 2.9.01 can be downloaded as source code and Windows binaries here:

maradns.org/deadwood/testing/

I encourage people to test Deadwood and make bug reports. Some things to keep in mind:
  • Valgrind-reported memory leaks can always be reported. Valgrind-reported errors are only valid if Deadwood is compiled with -DVALGRIND_NOERRORS
  • The only officially supported OSes are Windows XP and CentOS 5. OS-specific issues such as startup, daemonizing, sysloggin, and /etc/resolv.conf setup are only supported on these two OSes.
  • Bugs need to be reported to the MaraDNS list, not to my email account nor as blog comments. I hope to have time to set up a web forum for MaraDNS/Deadwood support for people not comfortable with mailing lists, but no promises.