Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Deadwood snapshot update

Since Deadwood is in beta-testing, the changes at this point will by and large be bug fixes. That in mind, I am going to start announcing Deadwood snapshot updates on my blog again, since they are more interesting for end users than “I’ve started work on converting the code to handle NS referrals”, “I’m making more progress on converting the code to handle NS referrals”, “I’m making more progress on converting the code to handle NS referrals. No, it doesn’t work yet, but, really, I’m making progress”, “Yet more progress on converting the code to handle NS referrals”, etc.

Today’s snapshop fixes the bug reported in a mailing list posting. [1]

I have fixed the bug, but I’m not 100% happy with the way I’m fixing it, as described in this mailing list posting.

Anyway, people can look at both the patch (in the “update” directory) and the patched Deadwood here:

http://maradns.org/deadwood/snap/deadwood-H-20100728-1.tar.bz2

Update: I have updated this with a better patch that, instead of deciding all SOA records are always “in bailiwick”, has it so bailiwick tests are only done if the record is determined to be a NS referral. See here:

http://maradns.org/deadwood/snap/deadwood-H-20100728-2.tar.bz2

- Sam

[1] The guys at Marc.info need to fix things to recognize a name on the From: line is UTF-8 encoded when it says it’s UTF-8 encoded. “From: =?UTF-8?B?U2ViYXN0aWFuIE3DvGxsZXI=?=” is “Sebastian Müller”, not “Sebastian Müller”.