Friday, September 28, 2007

Brief reviews of all of the "Commodore 32" contest entries

Here are my brief reviews of all six of the Commodore 32 contest entries from three years ago. Since these have already been reviewed by others, I will keep my review very brief.
  1. Amusement Park. This is easily the best of all of the entries. It has some 15 rooms and a number of different puzzles to keep you challenged. Even after finishing all of the rides, there is the additional challenge of figuring out how to get all 100 points. Some reviewers criticized the writing, but it's fine for a text adventure. Indeed, this is a story of someone remembering fondly going to an amusment park, and how those memories are slowly dying. There are no significant bugs; I thought not being able to get the last five points was a bug, but figuring out how to do it simply requires paying close attention to the game's text.
  2. Downtown Train. Second place. I felt this one had the best writing of all of the Commodore 32 entries. I really liked the ending and the love story in this tiny adventure. Only three rooms and one challenging puzzle.
  3. Turning Point. Third place. This game also has good writing, and a couple of nice puzzles. However, maybe I've played too many text adventures, but I was able to solve this fairly quickly. The game only has six locations, and not as many puzzles as Amusement Park. Besides that, it's a really fun tiny adventure.
  4. Endgame. Fourth place. This would have been a fun little one-room adventure, but had too many bugs for me to fully enjoy it. For example, "erase" is not correctly implemented, which confused me until I figured out to use the verb "remove". Also, as a Christian, I found the 500-point ending a little offensive.
  5. Zombies. This would have been a fun adventure, but has too many bugs. This adventure really needed to fuller testing and bugfix cycle.
  6. Paparazzi. This is why you do not use Inform 6.30 to write a tiny 32k adventure. There is a lot of bloat in 6.30 that 6.15 (the compiler all the other entries used) doesn't have; the author of this game simply did not have enough room left to make a compelling adventure.