Friday, August 14, 2009

New Deadwood snapshot; new MaraDNS timeline

I have started work on having it so multiple identical "in flight" DNS requests only send one query to the remote server. This is to minimize a possible security problem.



I have decided to revise the MaraDNS timeline. The current MaraDNS timeline is as follows:
  • MaraDNS 1.0 will be supported for critical security fixes only until December 21, 2010. Should a security bug be discovered just before the cut-off date, requiring changes so that the patched version would be released after December 21, I will simply remove MaraDNS 1.0.
  • MaraDNS 1.2 is only supported for critical security fixes, and only until December 21, 2010. As per 1.0, should a security bug be discovered just before the cut-off date, requiring changes so that the patched version would be released after December 21, I will simply remove MaraDNS 1.2.
  • MaraDNS 1.3.07 will be supported only for critical security patches for the foreseeable future. A EOL date will be announced when and if MaraDNS 2.0 is released.
  • Critical bug fixes will be applied to the 1.3.post-7 branch of MaraDNS for the foreseeable future.
  • I have no planned release date for MaraDNS 2.0. Indeed, at this point, I've decided to not even promise that MaraDNS 2.0 will be released. I hope it is, but I just don't like having a commitment to, say, release MaraDNS 2.0 before the end of the year looming over me.
What does this mean? It means that, while I still support MaraDNS (and appreciate all of the donations I have received), I'm not making enough money with MaraDNS for me to commit to releasing MaraDNS 2.0.

I'm having a lot of fun working on Deadwood, and I really hope to finish up the Deadwood code and release MaraDNS 2.0 by the end of the year, but, no promises. Since I'm not making much money doing this, this is "for fun and for free". Timelines and deadlines are not fun. So, I'm getting rid of them.