Wednesday, February 14, 2007

MaraDNS 1.3.03 released; hash function tarball updated

Rani Assaf found a memory leak in MaraDNS' code that my SQA setup didn't catch. I have revised my SQA process to catch this particular leak, and have plugged the leak.

In addition, since Roy asked me to compile the Win32 port of MaraDNS with the "-pipe" switch to speed things up, I made the appropriate change to the Win32 makefile. Alas, "-pipe" seems to, if anything, slightly slow down the compiling of MaraDNS in win32.

There are a number of other bugfixes and enhancments which are in the post-1.3.02 development branch, such as it now being possible to have "." by itself being a hostname. Read earlier snapshop announcments for details.

MaraDNS 1.3.03 is available here:

MaraDNS 1.3.03

For a few years now, I have had a tarball with various cryptographic hash algorithms available. This tarball hasn't been updated since 2001. Now, with the NIST starting to work on getting a new hash function out there, there have been some new hash primitives developed, including RadioGatun and LASH. In addition, I have found a couple of interesting hash functions which never got mainstream interest: Michael Johnson created a 256-bit hash function called Sapsum a few years ago, and last year a suite of encrpytion primitives, including a hash function, is included with the FastFlex suite.

This in mind, I have finally updated the suite of hash functions, removing some broken algorithms (MD4, MD5, the CRC and UNIX sums, etc.), and adding some new algorithms. The revised suite is available here:


Happy Valentine's day everyone!